Scholarship Competition Rules & Guidelines
Students must be enrolled in a Monterey County high school, college, or university when they apply for a Weston Scholarship. Applicants who have been awarded first place in a past Weston Scholarship competition are not eligible to win the same award again in subsequent years; however, they are eligible for all other award categories.
APPLICANTS 18 YEARS OF AGE OR YOUNGER
Signed permission slip required with portfolio submission >> Download
A portfolio of ten mounted and consistently sized silver gelatin photographs (students may over-mat prints but it is not a requirement). The photographs must have been taken, processed and printed within one year of the student's application.
Print Sizes Accepted: 4x5, 8x10 or 11x14.
Matt Sizes Accepted: 11x14 or 16x20.
Matt-board Colors Accepted: White.
Portfolio boxes are not required but are strongly advised to keep your prints safe during and after the judging.
An artist's statement is required and should include information about the photographs, the importance of the medium to the student, and any future plans that may include studying or practicing photography.
All portfolio boxes must be clearly and visibly labeled with your name and school on the outside. If we cannot read your name/school you will be excluded from the competition, so make sure to write legibly. All photographs must be lightly labeled with name and school on the backside of the mounted photograph. Do not sign your prints and titles on photographs are not necessary.
Portfolios will be anonymously judged by a panel of respected local artists and educators. Judging is based on uniqueness, clarity, consistency of vision, and the quality of a finished print. (printing, mounting and spotting)
Reasons for Disqualification
• Black or colored mats
• Incorrect number of prints
• Digitally captured photographs
• Digitally printed photographs
• Inconsistent matt board size in portfolio
• Incomplete paper work
1. Ten mounted/matted prints in a portfolio box/case.
2. Completed application signed by your photography instructor.
3. Proof of school registration for current year.
4. Artist statement – Very Important!
5. Your name and school on the back of each photograph & your box
6. Parent permission slip (if under the age of 18)
7. Please do not put your images in clear plastic bags